Thursday, July 7, 2011

Debate on Evolution


Debate on Evolution


In our class lecture, we learned what evolution really is.  We learned that evolution is simply genetic change over time.  For so long there has been a controversy about evolution.  People tend to say that if you believe in evolution, that you do not believe in God.  From the class lecture, I found out that this is NOT TRUE.

Growing up, I learned that evolution denies the belief in Christianity.  I was taught this in elementary school and in my own home.  I could not understand why this topic stirred up a big deal among the people.  I just thought that if you believe in evolution, then you do not believe in God.  Even growing up in the church, the pastor would say that if you believe in the all mighty God, then evolution does not exist.  Honestly, this class is my first understanding as to what evolution really is and how it does not mean that there is no God.  As a whole, our society is NOT educated on the cycle of evolution and how it works.  Therefore, we are not knowledge enough to say that evolution is bad.  From the way we were taught, no one took the time out to explain where evolution came from and that it is OK if you understand how evolution works and still believe in the almighty GOD. 


CNN’s Political Reporter, Peter Hamby, wrote an article on Michele Bachmann and her theory of evolution.  In the report, Mrs. Bachmann stated, "I support intelligent design," Bachmann told reporters in New Orleans following her speech to the Republican Leadership Conference. "What I support is putting all science on the table and then letting students decide. I don't think it's a good idea for government to come down on one side of scientific issue or another, when there is reasonable doubt on both sides” (Hamby 2011).  Mrs. Bachmann made it clear that students should be taught intelligent design in the school.

Evolution has nothing to do with not believing in God, but in fact, it could actually attribute to one another.  Evolution is things that can be tested opposed to faith and belief which can not be tested.  Just because you can not test a person’s faith or belief does not mean that it does not exist.  My argument is that I now understand HOW evolution works, but I DO believe in the almighty God.  Does that make me weird or wrong just because I do?  That is the point that gets misunderstood throughout our society.  I am
NOT weird or wrong in my understandings and beliefs of the 2 aspects.  In fact, I think it made me wiser to know the actual knowledge of evolution and still have my faith in God. 

My final statement about this debate is that I do agree with Michele Bachmann and her proposal on evolution.  Her statements are logical and they make sense.  The statement that best describes her theory is "I would prefer that students have the ability to learn all aspects of an issue," Bachmann said. "And that's why I believe the federal government should not be involved in local education to the most minimal possible process" (Hamby 2011).

For more information about Michele Bachmann’s theory on evolution, please follow the link at: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/17/bachmann-schools-should-teach-intelligent-design/?iref=allsearch

Hamby, P (2011). Bachmann: Schools should teach intelligent design. http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/17/bachmann-schools-should-teach-intelligent-design/?iref=allsearch

No comments:

Post a Comment